Eclipse Phase - Apocalypse
At Character Creation, choose 2 moves from the lists below.
The lists are divided somewhat arbitrarily by category for ease of selection..
- Battlefield Medic
- Disciplined Engagement
- Fire Control
- Heavy Weapon Training
- Impossible Reflexes
- Inspiring Leader
- Knife in the Dark
- Last Stand
- Martial Artist
- Not to be Fucked With
- Packing All Kinds of Heat
- Squad Leader
- Body Hopper
- Break and Enter
- In the Thick of Things
- Mercurial Mindset
- Team Player
- Tough in the Fiber
- Artful and Gracious
- Dangerous and Sexy
- Emotion Suppression
- Kinesics Specialist
- Life of the Party
- Memetic Engineer
- All My Vices Are Devices
- Cyberbrain Hacking
- Medical Miracle Worker
- Nanovirus Fabricator
All My Vices Are Devices
At the beginning of game, roll+Resources. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 1. You can spend your hold 1 for 1, at any time, to have a piece of tech useful to whatever situation you find yourself in – either on-hand, or somewhere you can get at it without too much trouble. This won’t get you weapons, but it might get you just about anything else man-portable and high-tech.
Artful & Gracious
When you perform your chosen art – any act of expression or culture – or when you put its product before an audience, roll+Savvy. On a 10+, spend 3. On a 7-9, spend 1. Spend 1 to name an NPC member of your audience and choose one:
- This person must meet me
- This person must have my services
- This person loves me
- This person must give me a gift
- This person admires my patron
On a miss, you gain no benefit. You simply perform very well.
When you are caring for people, not fighting, you get +1 armor. You have a supply of nanobandages and other basic medical supplies. See Gear
You never need to roll integration, alienation, and continuity as a result of voluntary resleeving. Resleeving after death, or being restored from backup requires integration, alienation, and continuity as normal.
- You get where you wanted to be
- You remain undetected while getting there.
- You leave no trace of ever having been there
- You stumble across something useful or interesting along the way.
You gain the
+cerulean tag. Mark one off the Sanity Track that may never be fixed or cured. If you have Watts-MacLeod Infection or Vittrad Infection you lose those moves, and any moves dependent on them. At the GM’s discretion, you may replace lost
+psi moves with
+cerulean moves. When you open yourself to the whispers from outside of time tell the GM what you’re concentrating on and roll+Willpower. On a 10+, the GM will tell you something interesting and useful about the past or the future of whatever it is. On a 7-9, the GM will tell you something merely interesting. On a failure, your mind becomes untethered from time for a bit… the GM will tell you what happens.
- Make a hard advance
- Stand strong against a hard advance
- Make an organized retreat
- Show mercy to their defeated enemies
- Fight and die to the last
On a miss, your orders get misunderstood or garbled or otherwise confused.
If you don’t already have a gang, this move GIVES you one (see NPCs, Gangs, and Vehicles). If you do already have a gang, you can choose a new option for your gang instead.
- Your contacts respect your reputation. Roll+Rep when contacting them.
- Your contacts respect your allure or forceful personality. Roll+Savvy when contacting them.
- Your contacts respect intelligence. Roll+Cognition when contacting them.
At the beginning of the session, or as soon thereafter as you are in a position to do so, you may contact your network and roll the appropriate stat. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 1. You may spend your hold anytime during that session, 1 for 1, to:
- Get something done: find one or more contacts to accomplish an off-screen task
- Lean on someone: convince a character as if you’d rolled a 10+ on negotiate
- Gather intel: learn something about a subject as if you’d rolled a 10+ on access the mesh
- Borrow Resources: gain temporary access to an item, morph, piece of equipment, or service
On a miss, your network needs a favor in return. Lose access to this move until you satisfy them.
- Make the target’s attack miss its mark – it strikes someone other than the intended target, or a wall, or the ground.
- Extract one discrete piece of information from the target.
- Impress, dismay, or frighten the target.
- Overload the target. Inflict 2 damage per hold spent.
- Take over their body (
+puppet sockonly). They can try to resist by rolling+Willpower in subsequent rounds. 10+ throws off your control, 7-9 contests control, and failure leaves control in your hands.
You cannot use this move if you have unspent hold from this move.
Dangerous and Sexy
When you enter into a charged situation, roll+Savvy. On a 10+, hold 2. On a 7-9, hold 1. Spend your hold 1 for 1 to make eye contact with an NPC present, who freezes or flinches and can’t take action until you break it off. On a miss, your enemies identify you immediately as their foremost threat.
When you inflict damage, you can choose to inflict any amount of damage you like, less than or up to your damage as established. Decide at the moment you inflict the damage; you need not tell anyone in advance how much damage you intend to inflict.
When you have time and materials, you may disguise yourself as another individual of about the same size and shape. This disguise will pass all but a close physical examination (going beyond a simple pat-down). Simply posing as another random individual takes only moments and access to alternate clothing or a similar physical distraction. Posing as a particular individual requires considerable time, study and resources as determined by the MC.
Your motivations are not always clear to others, or even beneficial to them or to you. Whenever you take an action that is a detriment to the group, mark Experience.
+eccentric tag on your sanity track grants you this move for free.
Whenever someone else assesses a situation and spends hold to ask a question about your character, you may answer their question in any way you wish, even if it’s not true. This move can be gained for free through certain implants such as
When you take this move, choose any other move you have that requires a die-roll. From now on, whenever you roll that move, you are
boosted. You may take Expertise more than once, assigning each new version to a different move.
You’re a famous personality, and your XP exploits are followed by many. You get 2-juggling, 3 paying gigs, and 1 obligation gig. Whenever there’s a stretch of downtime in play, or between sessions, choose a number of your gigs to work. Choose no more than your juggling. Roll+Savvy. On a 10+, you get profit from each of the gigs you chose. On a 7-9, you get profit from one of your gigs; if you chose more gigs, you get catastrophe from the rest. On a miss, catastrophe all around. The gigs you aren’t working give you neither hold nor catastrophe, but if you avoid your obligation gig, the GM gets one hold over you. Whenever you get a new gig, you also get +1juggling.
Choose 3 paying gigs (upvote / catastrophe):
- Art (1-hold / critiqued)
- Bodyguarding (1-hold / embattled)
- Counter-espionage (1-hold / infiltrated)
- Deliveries (1-hold / bushwhacked)
- Enforcement (1-hold / overthrown)
- Espionage (1-hold / deceived)
- Extreme Sports (1-hold / injured)
- Infiltration (1-hold / discovered)
- Mercenary Work (1-hold / embattled)
- Murder for hire (2-hold / embattled)
- Sex (1-hold / entangled)
And choose 1 obligation gig: (upvote / catastrophe)
- Avoiding Someone (You keep well clear / they catch you in a bad spot)
- Paying debts (you keep up with them / they come due)
- Protecting someone (nothing bad happens to them / they’re gone)
- Pursuing luxury (beauty in your life / you wind up in a bad spot)
- Maintaining your rep (you keep your reputation / you cross a line)
- Seeking answers (you get a clue / you chase a red herring)
You may spend any upvote hold, 1-for-1, to gain +1forward to a procure something roll. Alternately, you may spend 3-hold to increase your Rep by 1.
For advancement, gain +2 gigs, or +1 gig and remove your obligation gig.
When you go into battle roll+Cognition. On a 10+, hold 2. On a 7-9, hold 1. During the battle, you may spend your hold, one for one, to add or remove a weapon tag from any weapon you’re carrying.
You have embraced the stigmatized practice of forking your ego, and regularly have multiple copes of yourself active at any given time. You can accomplish so much more this way, and so long as you regularly integrate them back into yourself, side-effects are kept at a minimum. You never roll the trauma move to reintegrate a fork (unless a truly excessive period of time has passed). At the end of every game session, mark experience.
- You get into the system or past the security
- You don’t alert anyone to your intrusion
- You leave no trace behind
- You don’t permanently damage something important
In the Thick of Things:
At the beginning of the session, roll+Intuition. On a 10+, hold 2. On a 7-9, hold 1. At any time, either you or the GM can spend your hold to have you show up in any scene, with the proper tools and knowledge. On a miss, the GM holds 1, and can spend it to have you already be there, but somehow pinned, caught or trapped.
- Give someone under your command +1forward.
- Give someone under your command +1-armor for 1 round of battle.
- Give someone under your command +1 damage for 1 round of battle..
You have kinesics training, supported by specialized software packages. When you have a one-on-one interactions with someone where you can see each others’ body language roll+Savvy. On a 10+ hold 2, on a 7-9, hold 1. You may spend your hold at any time during the interaction to:
- automatically know when they lie or try to misdirect you.
- conceal from them your own motives or intentions
- communicate an idea or concept entirely non-verbally in a manner unlikely to be intercepted
Synthmorphs, some uplifts, and AGIs can be particularly difficult to read. The GM may impose
+glitched when interacting with such people. Individuals with
+endocrine control or Emotion Suppression are generally immune to this move.
- You create an opportunity for others (your call) to escape.
- You are
+boostedfor as long as you continue to stand your ground.
- Your position is counted as secure for as long as you choose to hold it.
- You are not overwhelmed at the end of the round, and
Life of the Party
When you hit the club or work a crowd, roll EITHER +Resources OR +Rep. On a 10+, choose 3. On a 7–9, choose 1. On a miss, you still choose one, but things get really out of hand (the GM will say how).
- You befriend a useful NPC.
- You hear rumors of an opportunity.
- You gain useful information.
- You are not entangled, conned, or tricked.
- damage or destroy a specific body part or held item
- create a tactical opportunity and immediately follow up on it
- disable them, all damage grants the
Workspace: Choose 3: a garage or cargo hold, a darkroom, skilled labor, a collection of raw materials, a cargo vehicle, high-tech gadgets, advanced tools, transmitters & receivers, an alien relic, high security.
When you go into your workspace and dedicate yourself to making a thing, or to getting to the bottom of something technological, decide what you’re doing and tell the GM. The GM will tell you “sure, no problem, but…” and then 1 to 4 of the following:
- It’s going to take hours/days/weeks/months of work
- First you’ll have to get/build/fix/figure out (something)
- You’re going to need (someone) to help you with it
- It’s going to cost you a ton of resources
- The best you’ll be able to do is a crap version, weak and unreliable
- It’s going to mean exposing yourself and colleagues to serious danger
- You’re going to have to add (something) to your workspace first
- It’s going to take several/dozens/hundreds of tries
- You’re going to have to take (something) apart to do it.
The GM might connect them all with “and,” or might throw in a merciful “or.” Once you’ve accomplished the necessaries, you can go ahead and accomplish the thing itself.
You can repair synthetic morphs with this move.
Laboratory: Choose 3: a med-bay or cargo hold, a surgery, skilled labor, growth vats of raw materials, an ambulance vehicle, high-tech gadgets, advanced life-support systems, top-notch cybernetic implant supply, an alien relic, high security.
You may go into your laboratory using the same rules as a mechanic going into their workspace.
You can use this move to heal biomorphs.
It’s one thing to convince a person of something. It’s another to engineer social acceptance of an idea. Mimetic engineers are masters of marketing, psychology and social networks, manipulating public opinion on every scale. When you engineer a meme describe to the GM what you seek to accomplish and roll+Savvy. On a hit, your meme is a success. On a 10+ choose 1. On a 7-9, choose 2:
- The meme takes extensive marketing and placement where people can see it. Permanently lose 1 point of Resources.
- The meme requires a lot of finessed word-of-mouth. Permanently lose 1 point of Rep.
- The meme is catchy, but easily forgotten. It won’t last very long
- The meme is durable but controversial and subject to counter-mimetics.
Social engineering is an imperfect science, and results are rarely permanent.
You have a mercenary force who obeys you only as long as you can pay. When you try to impose your will on your gang, roll+Resources. On a 10+, choose 3. On a 7-9, choose 2. On a miss, choose 1 anyway:
- They do what you want.
- They don’t overcharge you, and you don’t lose 1-Resources permanently.
- Their Vulnerability doesn’t activate, or you don’t have to hurt one of them.
If you don’t already have a gang, this move gives you one (see NPCs, Gangs, and Vehicles). If you already have a gang, select one more option for them.
You take pride in your differences from humanity. You must be
+stigmatized to use this move. Whenever you take an action or public stance that highlights your nature to your own social detriment, mark experience.
Name somebody who might conceivably eat, drink, breathe or otherwise ingest something you’ve touched and roll+Cognition. On a 10+, they do, and become
Dead in some nasty way sometime during the next 24 hours. On a 7-9, they’re merely badly injured or out of action. On a miss, some several people of the GM’s choice, maybe including your guy maybe not, get it.
- How are they doing? What’s up with them?
- What or who do they love best?
- Who do they know, like and/or trust?
- When next should I expect to see them?
- How could I get to them, physically or emotionally?
- You’ve loaded incendiary ammunition. Add
+burnto your ranged weapon attacks.
- You’ve loaded armor-piercing ammunition. Add
+ap-1to your ranged weapon attacks.
- You’ve loaded plastic ammunition. Add
+shockto your ranged weapon attacks.
- You’ve loaded tracking ammunition. Add
+bugto your ranged weapon attacks
You have a reputation as a beacon of hope, or perhaps a ruthless badass. When you share with another player’s character your vision and your methods, roll+Rep. On a 10+, hold 2 over them. On a 7-9, hold 1 over them. Whenever you like, you can spend your hold, 1 for 1, to have them mark experience, typically for taking actions that follow your example. On a miss, they hold 1 over you, on the same terms.
When you engage in psychosurgery upon a neural backup, fork, AGI, or emulated ego in your carefully controlled simulspace, roll+Cognition. On a 10+, choose 2 (the same choice can be taken twice). On a 7-9, choose 1:
- Fork Integration: re-integrate a fork successfully
- Memory Editing: alter, or delete any one memory or related set of memories
- Behavioral modification: edit or delete certain behaviors or impulses
- Deep Learning: Grant the subject 1 Experience.
- Interrogation: Learn the complete answer to any one question
- Psychotherapy: Add or Remove one check from the Sanity Track.
- Take Care: Grant the subject
+boostedon the subsequent trauma move (see below)
The subject then rolls the trauma move. In addition to the normal effects, on a 10+, the subject may choose whether to keep the changes or reject them. On a 7-9, the changes take effect, but the subject may choose one change that is only temporary. It will fade in a few weeks. On a failure, the changes take effect permanently, and the subject marks one check on the sanity track as normal.
When you meet someone important (your call), roll+Rep. On a hit, they’ve heard of you, and you say what they’ve heard; the GM will have them respond accordingly. On a 10+, you are
+boosted for dealing with them as well. On a miss, they’ve heard of you, but the GM will decide what they’ve heard.
Whenever you or an ally becomes
Dead, you are
+boosted ongoing to all rolls versus those responsible, forever. (All rolls with them directly as a target count, of course. Rolls against their family and friends, minions, or property may count, in the GM’s judgment.)
You look at every situation with a tactical eye, and are commonly prepared for most surprises. When you declare retroactively that you’ve already set something up, roll+Cognition. On a 10+ it’s just as you say. On a 7-9, you set it up but here at the crucial moment the GM can introduce some hitch or delay. On a miss, you set it up, but since then things you don’t know about have seriously changed.
You have been infected with the Vittrad strain of the exsurgent virus, and therefore have the
+vittrad tag. Mark one off the sanity track which can never be cured or removed. You know at a glance any medical or genetic defects in any biomorph, and are filled with an automatic revulsion and an almost pathological need to cut out the flaws in others.You are
+glitched in any social dealings with biomorphs, and if given an opportunity to mutilate one you must roll+Willpower to resist the urge.
Vittrad infection does come with some benefits. You also perceive with preternatural speed and precision any material flaws in inorganic structures and synthmorphs, which do not cause the same sense of revulsion. All your attacks, with any weapon, or even bare-handed, gain
+ap-1 as you exploit the weak points in armor, synthmorphs, or structures.
You have been infected with the Watts-MacLeod strain of the exsurgent virus. Gain
+psi and mark one off the sanity track which can never be cured or removed. When you assess the situation, you may roll+Willpower instead of+Intuition.
You have developed extensive investments and agents whose job it is to keep you in credits. At the beginning of the session, roll+Cognition or +Savvy (your choice) to see how your fortune is faring. On a 10+, you have surplus on hand for your needs. On a 7-9, you have surplus, but choose one want. On a miss, your investments are in want. The GM will choose one or more. The precise values of your surplus and want are determined by creating your investments below.
Choose 2 Benefits:
- Your investments are extensive, but thinly spread. Payout: 1-hold, want: needy
- Your investments are compact and well administered. Remove one want.
- Your investments profit from violent conflict. Payout: 1-hold, want: embattled
- You’ve invested in the information trade. Payout:
+boostedon one roll to access the mesh or assess the situation, want: infiltrated
- You’ve invested in physical resources, perhaps a planet rich in minerals or a refinery. Payout: 1-hold, want: immobile
- You’re a minor shareholder in another, larger organization. Payout: 1-hold, want: obligation
- Your people have access to rare or specialized technology. Payout: 1-hold, want: idle
Then Choose 1 Weakness:
- Your investments are always working for you, or deeply concealed. Want: unreliable
- Your investments are micromanaged and rely entirely on you for everything. Want: desperation
- Your investments are subject to bullying or blackmail. Want: reprisals
- Your investments are in large companies with multiple masters. Want: obligation
You may spend Payout hold, 1 for 1, to gain +1forward on any roll to procure something. Alternately, you may spend 3-hold to increase your Resources stat by 1.
For advancement, choose 2 new benefits, or take 1 new benefit and remove 1 weakness.